[TriLUG] Debian & Mandrake (was installfest server - ...)

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Wed May 1 15:08:13 EDT 2002

On , May 1, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-05-01 at 14:19, Mark Johnson wrote:

> > [...] I'm only pointing out that they're far more different than
> > they are similar.
>
> Mandrake uses the Debian menu system, the Debian alternatives system,
> and the Debian library naming conventions.  In my mind this makes
> it a lot more like Debian than you suggest.

You got me, I had no idea Mandrake was setup this way. Cool.

I was wrong.

> I think Mandrake, however, is much easier to use than Debian,
> especially if you're new to linux.

I won't argue with that. Not one iota.

BTW, does Mandrake have something like Debian's apt/sources.list?

One thing I really like about Debian is that you only need to install
it once. The rest is auto-upgrades.

> Even with that, though it's still great for those who have been with
> linux for years and years (I've been running linux since 1994).  I
> run Mandrake on all my home systems and my internet server.
> Mandrake goes to great lengths to integrate everything together into
> a comprehensive package.  It also goes to great pains to give the
> presentation that "extra touch".  I highly recommend it for both
> desktop and server use.

Cool. Guess I'll have to put it on my laptop at the InstallFest.

Thanks for the clarifications.

Mark
--
Mark Johnson        <mark at duke.edu>