[TriLUG] Hopefully not so easy...

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Fri May 3 08:54:48 EDT 2002

Hello

/action rant on

Yeah you can play games with dynamic ips and such, but a simpler approach
is to get yourself a static ip.  What's it cost?  An extra $5
a month or something.

It doesn't look as cool, but it works and its the right thing to do.  Then
again maybe you like doing it the hard way.
(I got this 3133t dynim.ip setup so I don't have to pay for static ip's and
I host my own mail and real audio server. -=Hax0RDud3=-)

Case in point, do a nslookup on www.skink.net and a reverse using the ip.
It all works.   (The webpage is stock since I haven't
restored the old ones from backup yet.)  I host my own mail and I have been
doing so for years.  Its brain dead simple.

Also, I'll pass on a work of advice I received when I was young and I knew
everything.  I think it applies in this case.
"If its hard work, then you are doing it wrong."

/action rant off

JD

Chris Knowles <knowlesc at telocity.com>@trilug.org on 05/03/2002 07:51:33 AM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org