Static IP (was Re: [TriLUG] Hopefully not so easy...)

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri May 3 10:47:08 EDT 2002

John F Davis [johndavi at us.ibm.com] wrote:

> Also, if you choose to use cable and put yourself in a difficult position I
> can't help you.  There are plenty of ISP's out there which will give you
> static ips and high bandwidth for $50 a month.

Road Runner is my only reasonable solution.  My only other option is DSL
through BellSouth, which doesn't give me a static IP, or Telocity, which
is using BellSouth equipment.  In that case, I would then have to
complain to Telocity, who would then tell me that it's a BellSouth
problem.  I'm really not interested in BellSouth's tech support (I've
dealt with their leased line division, which sucked, I can only imagine
how bad the support is for consumer type stuff).

As soon as DSL is such that I don't have to go through two or three
different organizations, I'll consider it.  Actually, I'll consider it
when Covad or someone else is an option at my house (my phones go
through a remote switch, which is connected to the CO via fiber -- which
means that the DSL provider has to have equipment at my remote switch).

> BTW, Chris no offense kid.  I wasn't really ranting at you. I was just
> trying to convey my frustration when I see people doing stuff the hard way
> when much simpler approaches should be obvious.  I guess I jumped to a
> conclusion.  Don't mind me.  I'm only on this list for the abuse
> opportunities.  (Gawd, I hope he doesn't take me serious on that one.)
> Have a good one.

Keep in mind that a lot of us -like- to do things the non-obvious way.
Perhaps there's just one little tweak that we'd like that makes things
work -just- how we like it, but it takes some effort to implement.
Also, there's a wonderful feeling of satisfaction when it's done.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost