[TriLUG] initscripts

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri May 3 11:41:58 EDT 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002, Janyne Kizer wrote:

> What is the initscripts RPM for?  I mean, what uses it?  I get a message
> from up2date that I've changed something about it and I don't know what
> it is referring to exactly.  I was just wondering.  Thanks!

Hi Jayne,

The initscripts RPM contains the various scripts in /etc/rc.d/ that
control the startup/shutdown of the computer.  They're pretty important,
so be careful if you're editing them etc.

If you're interested in exactly how the startup/stutdown process works,
it's kind of interesting to read them.  Start with the plain "rc" script,
also look at "rc.sysinit" and "rc.local".  The /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory
contains the startup/stutdown scripts for each of the services you have
isntalled.

--Jeremy