[TriLUG] Sun RAID array

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Thu May 9 09:08:57 EDT 2002

Jonathan Hassell <jon at jonathanhassell.com> writes:
> I have an opportunity to purchase, for about $300, a Sun RSM-2000
> (aka A3000) RAID array with seven 5 GB hard drives.  Having no
> experience with externally attached storage like this, I'm assuming
> I can hook it up to my Ultra 2 Enterprise box via the external SCSI
> interface and everything will be hunky-dory.  Unfortunately, I'm
> biased by years of futzing with small computers to think that it
> can't be that simple.

Well, my experience is with newer A1Ks, but assuming your U2 has an
appropriate SCSI port (the A1K's were all differential mini-68-pin
ports, so they were a little unusual---I don't know about an older
A3K) and you either like the partitioning as is, or are in fact
running Solaris on your U2 (so you can install the Raid Manager
software to reconfigure the on-board controller), it might well be
that easy.

And you can download the RM software from sun direct.

Mike.