[TriLUG] Re: Bio

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu May 9 15:07:29 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 02:55:49PM -0400, James Manning spoke thusly:
> [Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney]
> > 3 - helped archetect the current mirrors.trilug.org setup (which I hope
>
> could you finish this one?  inquiring minds wanna know :)

OK, sure. mirrors.trilug.org is a series of three 9 gig SCSI disks
hosted on fatalpha. Ed Hil and the defund CPD doated them.  The basic
http auth is via a mod_auth_mysql; into the membership database we
maintain. The mirrors at the moment are hand maintained, although I've
automated redhat updates and kernel 2.2/2.4/2.5 updates with rsync and
cron jobs.

Most of what you see is member driven - a member has or wants us to
keep a recent copy of foo on fatalpha, so we (the SC) either gives
them perms ot update it, or we do it ourselves.

What I'd like to see happen is that all of this be moved over to the
ftp box, using the same auth, but more/bigger disks. There is now a
discussion of moving IMAP to mudfoot, and mirrors/ftp to stonesoup.

I'd also like to allow for public (bandwidth limited) access to these
mirrors, with members getting almost unfettered access (within the
confines of our bandwidth allocation @ inflow). And with bigger disks,
we can actualy do "real" mirrors, and not just hand uploads of the
latest and greatest RH/MDK/etc releases. Iv'e already had to juggle
the file locations once or twice to make room for everything, and cut
down on what does an doesn't get auto-updated for kernel.org *grin*

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9
"I had a coupon!" - Gir