[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2 now available locally at Best Buy!!

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon May 13 02:44:08 EDT 2002

Well, unfortunately for some reason I couldn't get Mandrake 8.2 installed
over Redmond, and I really don't know why. If  I use a graphical
installation it goes OK until a point where the screen clears and displays
"Out of Range" (whatever that means). Trying the textual mode I got I/O
errors. There is obviously some sort of installation log, but I don't know
the location or name of it or how to access it. This is very strange because
this is on a computer that just recently had Redhat 7.2 and Redmond Linux
installed on it without problems (although I don't know how to install my
DVD player and a few other peripherals in the box). So I tried to install a
copy of Redhat 7.0 which was included in a tutorial book on Linux I'd picked
up at the bookstore. IT ALSO HAD I/O errors and stated it could not do
anything with whatever happened. This is so very strange that if you have
some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm actually using the very
computer which caused these errors right now with a Windows 98 drive in it
(I have my hard drives in drawers which lock into a case in my box which
allows me to play with Linux while protecting my Win98 system.)
Very, very strange. As far as I'm aware none of my hardware or Bios settings
have been changed since Redhat 7.2 and Redmond were more or less
successfully installed on my Linux hard drive. It's all very, very strange
indeed.---AL Johnson
P.S. I appreciated the comparison link between the various Mandrake 8.2
versions. I suppose it's even possible that both the disks I tried are bad,
but considering both of them have never been used before I suppose it's
possible.