[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.2 now available locally at Best Buy!!

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Mon May 13 10:41:23 EDT 2002

A Dilluns 13 Maig 2002 02:44 am, vàreu escriure:
> Well, unfortunately for some reason I couldn't get Mandrake 8.2
> installed over Redmond, and I really don't know why. If  I use a
> graphical installation it goes OK until a point where the screen
> clears and displays "Out of Range" (whatever that means). Trying the
> textual mode I got I/O errors. There is obviously some sort of
> installation log, but I don't know the location or name of it or how
> to access it.

Try going to the virtual consoles available through ctr-alt-F1 to F6

Is your cd-rpm drive OK? Is the HDD OK? are the IDE cables properly
attached?

> This is very strange because this is on a computer that
> just recently had Redhat 7.2 and Redmond Linux installed on it
> without problems (although I don't know how to install my DVD player
> and a few other peripherals in the box). So I tried to install a copy
> of Redhat 7.0 which was included in a tutorial book on Linux I'd
> picked up at the bookstore. IT ALSO HAD I/O errors and stated it
> could not do anything with whatever happened. This is so very strange
> that if you have some suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I'm

Bad cd-rom drive, problems with the IDE cables? Do those CDs work in
other computers?

> actually using the very computer which caused these errors right now
> with a Windows 98 drive in it (I have my hard drives in drawers which
> lock into a case in my box which allows me to play with Linux while
> protecting my Win98 system.)

It is not very good for hard disks to be moved around, specially when
very hot. Hard disks in drawers get a lot hotter than regular
harddisks. Also, the connections tend to go back (I've used them
before... with the result of 1 hdd dead, and 2 different hdd-drawers
gone bad).

> Very, very strange. As far as I'm aware
> none of my hardware or Bios settings have been changed since Redhat
> 7.2 and Redmond were more or less successfully installed on my Linux
> hard drive. It's all very, very strange indeed.---AL Johnson

It seems that it can be a bigger problem than a flacky CD.

> ==============
> P.S. I appreciated the comparison link between the various Mandrake
> 8.2 versions. I suppose it's even possible that both the disks I
> tried are bad, but considering both of them have never been used
> before I suppose it's possible.

You can always check it in another machine, see that happens.

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.2 - Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Linux Machine # 38068