[TriLUG] DHCP not working

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon May 13 12:40:43 EDT 2002

nroskam at rr.nc.com [nroskam at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> My network card quit working with DHCP.  I can assign a static IP
> address and get Internet access.  I have reinstalled the card and
> switched slots.  The behavior happens across Windows ME, Windows 2000,
> and Redhat 7.2.  Any ideas on what can cause this.  Other machines can
> obtain IP addresses from my linksys router.  Additionally I know another
> person who having a similar problem but are trying to connect to road
> runner.  They have swapped network cards and still having the same
> problem.

Have you tested against a different DHCP server?  I know RR's DHCP
servers have...issues sometimes.  I have a static IP address with them
that I let DHCP take care of for a while, but when their DHCP servers
nose-dived one too many times, I just staticly assigned the address.

So, I reckon it's the DHCP server, not your card/OS.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost