[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

J Johnson justin at eCotton.com
Wed May 15 13:42:21 EDT 2002

I think Lisa's suggestion is a very good one. I had a 'seminar' of sorts
that Ed Hill did at the Delphi user's group (thanks Ed!) a while back. He
covered a lot of what Lisa is suggesting, and quite honestly that was when I
decided that I really needed to devote some time to looking beyond Windows
and getting to know Linux. He basically provided an answer as  to "why
should I chuck what I know and start all over?". It's a good way to plant
the seed of knowledge.

/flame proof suit on/
 One suggestion though. Stay away form bashing Windows when trying to
interest someone in Linux. During the very early days of becoming interested
in Linux, all I ever heard about was the "Windows crashes all the time" as a
reason for switching. I'll agree with this in reference to Win9x and NT
pre-SP4. But as someone that used Windows NT every day, I very rarely had
any stability issues with my machine. I'm not trying to initiate a war on
Linux vs. Windows in the stability area, I'm merely pointing out that if you
use the crashing reason on someone that isn't experiencing crashes, well it
just sort of sounds like maniacal wailings from a fanatic, and falls on deaf
ears. Ed did a good job of asking questions like 'Why should a file name be
in 8.3 format?" I'd never thought of that before, and when he posed the
question, it did strike me as 'yea, that is pretty damn ignorant.' I guess
what I am suggesting is instead of taking the approach of 'Why you SHOULD
use Linux', take the approach of 'Why ARE you using Windows?" For most
people it may be that the answer is they never knew that another way
existed....

Then you kindly point out that "And oh yea, by the way, Linux is a lot more
stable too!" :-)

Peace,
Justin