[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

Lisa C. Boyd lcboyd at nc.rr.com
Wed May 15 14:52:06 EDT 2002

>I can do the last part. I'm quite good in my SSL (Spanish as Second Language)

If you were willing to give the talk in Spanish, I'm sure we'd break into
the Hispanic community. I wish I could speak Spanish so I could communicate
effectively with people who don't speak English well. Then again, I have a
gazillion things I'm trying to learn myself - Linux being at the top of the
list!

>Being a newbie you can provide "the insider look" of what are newbie's
>interests around Trilug, what do they fear the most, what do they think Linux
>is...

I'd be happy to help :) One of the biggest fears I had was that everything
would have to be done by command line - UNIX flashbacks - you know? I think
giving a demo of what you can do with Linux and just some of the options
(don't want to overload people!) can speak for itself. When I thought of
Linux in the past, I thought of geeky nerds stuck in a basement programming
and hacking into people's computers 24-7 (no offense to anyone here - ok?).
It was definitely nice to meet some of you at the Installfest and see that
you can still use Linux and have a life :) I know that may sound weird ...
but those are just my "newbie" impressions. To meet "normal" people that
are like me using Linux is an encouragement.

Linux is always touted as a server and something that a person who is more
technical in nature would have to run. Enlightening people that it can be a
powerful "regular user" tool is something I believe this group could do
very easily.

Travis had some good suggestions too about allowing people to ask questions
about basic how-to stuff. I don't know that it would be necessary to have
two different machines side by side because then you'd have to decide what
you were going to put there - Windows? Mac (older OS)? I think one of the
biggest fears for someone switching over would probably be - would all the
work I've done to date be totally wasted? would I have to redo all my
documents? That's the biggest thing to overcome. Once you could show them
they can open their Word documents in this program and have more
flexibility - then you'll start to win them over with the "free" talk :)

BTW, I was playing around yesterday with Kmail and the fact that I could
view messages in a thread just blew me away :) It's the little stuff in
life - LOL! I read a lot of list mail and it was really cool that I could
do this. Still playing around with stuff though!!

Lisa B.