[TriLUG] Where, oh where, is libtinfo.so.5?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu May 16 12:32:22 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 12:07, Geoff Purdy wrote:
> > I was all set to run out to BB and pick it up today, but the Mandrake
> > newsgroup has reports of problems with 8.2 as well, especially really bad
> > fonts. Has that been your experience?
>
> I hadn't noticed any problems with fonts, but I'm not very picky and probably wouldn't notice unless it was _really_ bad (a la the KDE default of "Arioso" in RHL7.2).  Perhaps one of the Mandrake gurus on the list can speak to this?  I remember changing all of the "helvetica" defaults to "helmet" but I can't remember if this was skipjack or mandrake (the system isn't with me right now).

I haven't noticed any font problems on Mandrake 8.2 either,
and I'm fairly picky.

> The items I really like about 8.2 are the following:
>  - RealPlayer plugin installation with Mozilla was trivial compared to RHL7.2

Hey, has anyone tried the new beta for the RealOne player?  I
downloaded it yesterday and besides the different skin, I can't
see anything much different in it.  Although, I admit, I haven't
tried any of the advanced features.  It'd be nice to be able to
listen to baseball games, though under linux... (apparently,
since their a pay service now, they require the cookie features
of the newest realone player..:-/...)

>  - Evolution and Xine are packaged with the distro

If you're using xine with Mandrake 8.2, you should really
add the Penguin Liberation Front into the software manager
and get the latest xine/dvd/css stuff from them.  They're
compiled especially for Mandrake 8.2 and integrate extremely
well with the entire system.

>  - System autodetects when my wireless card is inserted/ejected and connects/disconnects from the wlan automatically (IIRC, 8.1 didn't do this).

Mandrake is very good with hardware.

>  - KDE is quite stable

If you're considering using kde 3.0, use the texstar rpms instead
of the Mandrake provides ones.  They're a bit more stable.  I kept
having the mandrake ones lock up every now and then, but the texstar
ones have been rock solid.  In addition, they come with Conectiva's
Crystal theme, which is very nice.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/