[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu May 16 16:16:18 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
>     While I'm at it, I want to speak on the topic of "laziness" vs. "lack
of
> knowledge" vs. "finding a needle in a haystack". Whenever I attempt to try
> and find something in one of those "Man" files I always feel like I'm
> searching for the proverbial "needle in a haystack".

man -k <keyword> |grep <another_keyword>

http://www.google.com

> It's sort of like DROWNING IN INFORMATION, none of which seems to answer
the
> specific question which I'm trying to answer. I'm not the only one who
feels
> this way since I've read that there is now a group attempting to improve
> some of them.
>
>  I still don't know as much as I'd like to know about Linux, but I've
> already read a lot of books, some of which made sense. I still have yet to
> find a manual which gives beginners the information they need most without
> burying them in a lot of  command line UNIX.

http://www.mandrakecampus.com/

http://www.tldp.org/

======

As an old fart who has been using Linux since the first Slackware hit the
shelves, I gravitate to the command line.  If you ask me "How do *you* do
...." I'm more than happy to tell you - and I will certainly tell you the
way *I* would do it.

If you don't want to learn the Command line, that is fine with me.  Just
smile say thanks and move on. There are always a hundred ways to do anything
in Linux (and in Unix). Certainly the GUI is faster and easier.  Once you
find out how to do it that way, be sure to come back and tell me how to do
it via the GUI.  I'll smile and say thanks, before I move on...