[TriLUG] FreeBSD

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue May 21 12:24:30 EDT 2002

 --- Original Message: Tuesday 21 May 2002 11:35 am ---
> On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 11:32, Jon Carnes wrote:
> > So you are proposing a BSD at trilug.org list..?
> >
> > (TriLUG being the "umbrella group")
>
> Jon, I've been proposing that for a couple of years now. :-)
>
> If there is general support for this, I'll go ahead and set it up.

+1 from me...

> BTW - Good move on the upgrade.  OpenBSD rocks.  I'm using it in a
> production environment and it is just so rock solid stable.  T

We were using a 5 year-old PPP via SSH scheme to connect remote sites and
the Execs wanted us to move to Symantec or Raptor firewalls so that we would
have "enterprise" class firewalling and connectivity between our sites.

This was (of course) at the urgings of some over-priced consultants who all
studied at the Microsoft school of customer-fleecing.

The IS group as a whole decided that IPSec via OpenBSD was a much saner
approach for our site to site VPN needs (the driving force behind the urge to
convert) - so as part of our conversion "evaluation" we converted our old
Linux based PPP/SSH boxen over to OpenBSD IPSec boxen.

Hand-slapping all around!  Everything works great, and our effeciency (which
is directly proportional to transmitted bandwidth) was increased by about
20%.  A nice solution and the total cost was about 24 man-hours and *no*
capital or additional equipment.

BTW: the Docs on OpenBSD rock!  There is even a "man vpn"!

Jon