[TriLUG] ASCII screenshot

Chris Knowles knowlesc at telocity.com
Thu May 23 21:29:40 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 20:54, Mike Johnson wrote:
> Chris Knowles [knowlesc at telocity.com] wrote:
> > Is there a way on a box without X, and without the ability to ssh to it,
> > to take a screenshot?  Basically what I want is a "picture" of the text
> > on the screen.
> >
> > (So a txt file that has the screen in it.)
> >
> > I'd be really surprised if there is such a thing, but I had the need for
> > it today, so I thought I'd ask.
>
> What are you really after here?  Run a command and save the output?  If
> so, look at 'script'.
>
> Basically, run 'script /tmp/output.txt', then run your command, and hit
> 'ctrl-d' to exit.  You'll then have the output in /tmp/output.txt.
>
> Mike
<SNIP>

Yeah, that'd work great, but I needed the shot after I'd already run the
command, and there was no way to repeat the sequence of events that lead
to that screen.

The highlight and click method works like a champ.  I had learned it
once upon a time, but it's been so long since I've been restricted to a
console based system I forgot about the mouse.

Thanks.  Really didn't expect this much response.

CJK