[TriLUG] roadrunner and static ip

H Brett Bolen wingedlizard at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 5 19:26:58 EDT 2002

I've been really happy with roadrunner.   I thought I'd wait for dsl, but
it still isn't availible in my area -- I've had roadrunner for about a year
and a half now.

However, it is no decided that I need to have fixed ip, in order to access
a PVCS system that our 'customer' is using.  I have no control over
the pvcs system.

Has anybody gone with roadrunner and static ip?  What does it cost?

I get about 2mbps downstream and maybe 256 kbps upstream.  I would hate to
upgrade to 'business class' and get 512kbps ( 25%) of what I was seeing
before.  If i 'upgrade' will my performance go down?

I don't need to have any servers up, and I dont' care about upstream.
I don't need a dns record ( dyndns.org, has been find for me so far).

And I've been delightfully surprized with nc.rr.com.  My current ip
has been fixed so far -- it has remained the same for about a year,
( I don't remember it ever changing ) but there is no guarentee
that it will stay the same.

who has rr and static ip?  how much does it cost?  what is your
throughput?

thanks
   brett bolen