[TriLUG] roadrunner and static ip

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 5 19:25:31 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 19:26, H Brett Bolen wrote:
> I've been really happy with roadrunner.

You're obviously not in the same service area as me.

Mine has been down pretty often.  I think tomorrow is the fourth
scheduled visit since we got RR a few months ago for a tech to see why
we get such wicket packetloss.  It's been pretty much unusable the last
few days except for short windows of partial usability.

The tech that comes out has an "I don't care" attitude.  He openly
admits the signal quality is poor for my neighborhood, but won't do
anything about it.

> Has anybody gone with roadrunner and static ip?  What does it cost?

I've priced it out.  A few months ago I was quoted $99 per month for one
static IP and unfiltered ports (i.e. I could run servers).  No upgrade
in bandwidth in either direction from residential class.

> And I've been delightfully surprized with nc.rr.com.  My current ip
> has been fixed so far -- it has remained the same for about a year,
> ( I don't remember it ever changing ) but there is no guarentee
> that it will stay the same.

Mine stays relatively static until my modem can no longer communicate
upstream for a long period, after which it comes back with a new IP.