[TriLUG] Re: sendmail and alternate ports

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Thu Jun 6 08:53:59 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-06 at 08:48, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney wrote:

> That'll only cover a part of what he's got going on. Mutt calls sendmail
> directly, which will try to route to the remote MX. If you tell sendmail
> to use the smart host "localhost" (I cannot remember ths exact setting
> ATM), and use stunnel, it should work.

Forgive my ignorance of iptables since I usually use pf for firewalling,
but I know with pf you can intercept any outbound connection to a
specific port and redirect it to a locally running daemon listening on
another port.  This is how many people do squid transparent proxying.
That way anything trying to go out to port 25 of a remote host would be
intercepted and redirected to stunnel as described earlier.