[TriLUG] XDMCP question

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Mon Jun 10 15:59:18 EDT 2002

I think that this is the info that you are looking for:

Edit the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess. Uncomment the "chooser broadcast"
and "any host can get a login window" so the file looks something like
this when you are done.

                  *                            #any host can get a login
window

The Chooser Broadcast should already be uncommented but double check it
just in case

                  *                            #any host can get a login
window
                  *      CHOOSER BROADCAST     #any indirect host can
get a chooser

Edit the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config. Comment out the "Display
Manager:requestPort:0" line. This enables the connection listener.

                  ! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser
requests
                  ! Comment out this line if you want to manage X
terminals with xdm
                  # DisplayManager.requestPort:     0

Edit the file /etc/X11/fs/config. Comment out the line no-listen=tcp.

In order to run XDM the system has to be in runlevel 3. By default ,when
installing 7.2, system is in runlevel 5. This will need to be changed:

Edit the /etc/inittab file by changing the following line from
"id:5:initdefault:" to "id:3:initdefault:"
Save file and reboot system. System will boot to a text login prompt.

Make sure that XDM automatically starts on reboot. This is important
because it must start in order to accept XDMCP requests from X
terminals.

Edit the /etc/rc.local file
Add the line

                  xdm