[TriLUG] command line mp3 jukebox software?

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 10 20:59:53 EDT 2002

I've got a number of identical systems that are running Pentium 100
processors, SB AWE32 sound cards, etc. and they are doing a fine job of
running "nice -n -10 mpg123 foo.mp3" without burping.

What I'd like to do next is find a nice command line mp3 jukebox
client.  Freshmeat unfortunately has a lot of tripe in this department
and all of my efforts at finding something half decent have been
thwarted.

I have a central server with a big hard disk to share the MP3's.  All of
the jukebox clients will be connected by fast ethernet.

It seems most of the development work in this field has gone towards X
or http interface.  Not an option here.  Must be command line.

Long-term, I foresee this going to an IR remote control with either a TV
display (pie in the sky), or LCD (more likely).  Since the hardware
budget right now is about nil, the command line client will get me a
long way for now.

Anyone else here doing something like this already?  Suggestions for
software to use?

--
-=[*Thunder Bear*]=-
+[Upchuckee Nation]+