(rr mailserver redux) Re: [TriLUG] Newbie meeting - Saturday

Robby Dermody robbyd at avalonent.org
Wed Jun 12 15:25:19 EDT 2002

About rr's mailservers...

Hmm, I thought they had just blocked me from relaying through
smtp-server.nc.rr.com for some reason :) as I tried to telnet to port 25
from a box outside of rr.com and it worked fine, but it either wasn't
listening or wasn't accepting my IP from inside rr.com. From inside (using
rr.com's DNS) and outside (using an external DNS) it is the same IP, but
there's possibly difference instances of the mail daemon bound to each
network interface, or something along those lines.

I just set up my own internal mail relay so I don't have to deal with it
anymore. Their service is otherwise quite good, but I'm glad I don't use
their servers for inbound mail...

Robby