[TriLUG] Saturday Meeting to set up programs for inducting unsuspecting newbies into the Cult of the Penguin

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Thu Jun 13 16:33:57 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 04:25:49PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 16:16, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Of course emailing me is not very efficient these days as
> > sucky-ol-roadrunner-mail-server delivers it when it feels like it.  I'm
> > now getting emails from freaking April that I never recieved (that I
> > recall) before.  (like I said before, I don't care whose fault it is,
> > road runner's email service still sucks, and its been over a year of it
> > sucking utterly and completely -- freaking hotmail has better
> > reliability now a days).
> > </rant>
>
> Well, all I can say is that it works alright for me.  Of course,
> I run my on mailserver, so that might make a difference.

Yep, that would make a huge difference.  RR connectivity seem to do OK,
but even that depends on where you live.  (I'm in western Durham and
have only had a couple of problems over the last year.)  From the e-mail
discussions here over the last couple days, the issue seems to be with
RR's mail servers and with the DNS servers.  So running your own mail
server -- like we do as well -- shields you from that particular pain.

I have one machine on my home network that's configured to relay
outgoing mail through RR's mail server, and I haven't seen any problems
with that.  (Of course, I also have any mail to root being relayed so
even if there was a problem with the relaying, I'm not sure that I'd see
anything 'cause it would probably just create a mail loop.)

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org