[TriLUG] Saturday What to bring, and recreational information

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Fri Jun 14 08:25:44 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 08:11, Thunder Bear wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 21:04, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> OK I have adjusted my travel plans.  Will be home tonight instead of
> tomorrow night.  Will see you tomorrow.  ;-)

cool.

> > What is needed:
> > 1. Soda pop - I don't usually partake - so we don't keep it around
>
> Got that covered.

excellente

> > 6. Elect Lisa "Newbie Committee Chairperson"
>
> I second the motion.

This vote may end up being unanimous ;-)  Congratulations Lisa ;-)

> > 7. Identify programs to bring people up to speed on basic Linux "Stuff"
> >    Thoughts include:
> >    a. Selection of a distribution including criteria
>
> Oh man that could take all day.  It's like vi vs. emacs but with a lot
> more choices.

I'm thinking more generically.  Like Newbies are most likely to need:
1. Support.
2. Easy Dual Boot installation (not even I went cold turkey...though my
approach was less conventional...I used an X client on a box networked
to the Linux box and forced myself to do more and more on the X term)
3. GUI interfaces.  I think some new thinking is needed.  Traditionally
we try to make people use vi and emacs and etc.  Well those editors are
available on windows (or at least vi is) but most windows folks use
notepad.  Lets start with letting people work similarly to how they work
on winblows and let them get their feet wet but not boiled.  I think
selecting a or a few distributions that let them do this should be
simple.
4. Community - there may be great distributions out there but if you're
the only one who uses it, and no one at trilug knows what you're talking
about...well its not so great.  On the other hand this is a very
important factor with redhat and often the only reason I still use it.
I'm in NC and everybody else does... very powerful force.

> >    b. Installation
> >    c. Basic file management (just what does df stand for)
> >    d. Basic networking and installation
> >    c. Webservin
> >    e. Advocacy - How do we induct people into the cult of the penguin?
>
> There is an Advocacy HOWTO at the Linux Documentation Project.  Lots of
> this stuff is covered therein.

yes.  I'll re-read it.

> >    f. maybe "new school" technologies (don't often touch the stuff
> > myself) like flowe desktop stuff, gui file managers, etc.
>
> I will try to remember to bring some extra Flowe CD's that were donated
> to the LUG.

awesome.

> > 9. Extra points if you get my wife wantin' to use Linux.
>
> Point me at a half decent PC I can blow away and reload.

Yes, herein lies the problem. ;-)  Data. But more importantly was the
indoctrination.  How do we make her WANT to switch?  hmmm?  (She's an
accountant btw).

-Andy

> -=\Thunder Bear/=-
> +Upchuckee Nation+

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh