[TriLUG] RR and pre-meeting subjects :

Mike Helms Mike.Helms at martinmarietta.com
Fri Jun 14 10:46:40 EDT 2002

Lisa,

Lots of people use the home level internet cable service for their home
based business, and that's cool.  The important thing that I tell people is
to ALWAYS have a backup if connectivity is that important.

We have backup connectivity here at work, and we run multiple T1's.  This
isn't just for home users.

I also didn't mean to imply that anyone who complains about RR is an idiot.
Quite the contrary - most people who called in had a legitimate problem.
More often than not, I was able to fix it on the spot (they do arm tech
support people with a lot of tools, believe it or not!), but sometimes I
wasn't, and that's life in a big corporation.

Bear in mind also that cable internet exploded far faster than anyone
anticipated.  Recall the @home woes if you don't believe me there ...
scalability becomes an enormously complicated issue when you're tlaking
about a network that serves millions of people, and i don't envy our network
engineers one bit.  They had a daunting task, and for the omst part did a
great job.

Cheers,
-- Mike