[TriLUG] broadband woes?

Michael Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Fri Jun 14 13:15:16 EDT 2002

On Friday 14 June 2002 12:39, David R. Matusiak reputedly wrote:
> thanks to Mike Helms for one of the funniest reads of the week!!

+1

Any chance that any broadband woes might be related to corporate downsizing
in telecom companies?  I think so.  Declining profits yields declining
service.

I was going to switch from DSL to Cable to save $60/year.   It sounds like it
still might be a good switch for the me (the only guy on the planet that buys
on price alone - if it's cheaper, I'll make it work, dammit).  Most of my
email accounts are hosted off-ISP.

I've been following the "I do my own mail server" threads with interest.  Can
someone describe the technology in 3 or 4 sentences?  Do you rely on having a
static IP address or a near static address?  With DSL, my IP address changes
about every 1.75 weeks because I need to do a power off reset on the modem.

TIA,
--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com