[TriLUG] seeking hardware advice...

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Tue Jun 18 09:36:10 EDT 2002

Avui, Diumenge 16 Juny 2002 22:52, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
aquest e-mail
> I think the CPU will deliver much more performance than you need, unless
> you're doing some really computationally intensive audio manipulation or
> insist on real-time processing of multiple audio channels. The RAM might
> be more than you need, but it may still make you happy.

> Just so you know, I'm do video editing on a 1.33GHz Athlon with 512MB
> RAM. The processing perfomace seems to be enough. I do have to wait
> around 9 hours for it take uncompressed video and encode a DVD quality
> result, but the editing process works fast enough. As for RAM, the
> system does only a little swapping when I'm doing video editing with
> multiple video and audio sources, have several Mozilla windows open, and
> leave the GIMP running with a few 720x480 images open.

In my opinion, anything beyond 1.5GHz is overkill. Get the CPU that gves you
the best GHZ-to-dollar ratio

Just get tons of RAM (if you are editing big images, you'll love 1 GB of RAM,
because you can assign a big chunck to Gimp's own cache for colour palettes,
undos and effects. Really, go with 1 GB

Also, on monitors... I recommend you to try a "different" class of monitor:

Aperture Grille monitor.

All the tubes are manufactured by Sony, so they all have the same video
quality. They are all TrueFlat, BlackTrinitron-esque, perfect squares. The
resolution is awesome. My "cheap" 17" ApertureGrille (Avitron AV-7F or
something like this) provides me 98dpi.

Have I told you that the image is very very crisp and has no light reflection?

If you know "Maximum PC - minimum bs" magazine, you will understand when this
is what they call a "Kick-Ass" product.

Before buying any other screen, try an Aperture Grille one. It's been my best
computer-related buy sofar since.... since 198?... let's say ever.

Then you say you want an Antec case. Me too! Not so much for the nice case,
but more for the built-in fans, and the reliable power-supply (or so they say
at Tom's Hardware and such).

Also, I've gotten an e-mail from Intrex that they just have lowered prices for
MoBos and CPUs and stuff like that. And they usually are Linux Friendly.

Happy shopping!

Salut,
Sinner
--
RedHat QA Test Engineer  --  Running RedHat 7.3 on i386smp
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/