[TriLUG] seeking hardware advice...

Jason Tower jtower at nc.rr.com
Tue Jun 18 09:55:39 EDT 2002

my man sinner is absolutely correct on both counts.  cpu speed is
secondary to lots of ram and a fast hard disk.  a pII 400 with a gig of
ram will be faster than a p4 1.8 w/ 256MB, especially when dealing with
large images.
i've built maybe two dozen PCs in the past year or two and have found
antec cases to be outstanding.  intrex sells the sx600 for 50 bucks, add
the power supply of your choice (PC power and cooling ones are really the
best if you can afford them, if not go with the powerman noise killer
which intrex also sells, they appear to be very good quality, are quiet,
and i've never had one fail me).
if you want quietness (and you should) get a big heatsink that takes 80mm
fans and use an adjustable speed fan to get the best cooling/noise ratio
(newegg sells one from enermax that is great).  and stay from mobos and
video cards with fans on the chipsets unless you don't care about noise at
all.  seagate barracuda IV disks are almost totally silent and have
excellent performance and reliability.  with a little careful planning you
can build a very fast, quiet system that is easy to live with.
jason