[TriLUG] Big problems with a Red Hat 7.2 -> 7.3 upgrade

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Jun 19 13:01:57 EDT 2002

Back in May, I pulled the Red Hat 7.3 ISOs off of the LUGs mirror.  I finally
had the time to try the upgrade today.

I made it through to the package install.  The installer was happily copying
packages to my machine when it got to kdebase.  It complained that I was out
of disk space (I appear to have plenty still), have bad media, or encountered
a hardware failure.

Now my system is in a half-upgraded state.  The first CD is possibly a faulty
burn (mounts fine, how else would I check it?).  I did run md5sum to check
the ISO images before burning CDs.  I can't seem to access the CD drive now.
Any suggestions?  How do I procede?  Could it be a hard disk problem?  How
would I tell?  I've never hit an install problem like this, and I'm not sure
how to proceed.

I do have some options here.  I have two other machines in the house (neither
with a ton of disk space).  I also still have the ISO images on the hard
drive of the machine that's now half-upgraded.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!

---Tom