[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Fri Jun 28 09:40:41 EDT 2002

BioInformatics is the study of biological information, such as DNA,
Genomics, and Endocrenology. It's the study of the biological functions of
the human body.

Currently, I'm working on a project that requires Oracle on Linux to produce
a LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System).  The concern that some of
the decision makers, not here but in the bioinformatics community, is that
Linux is just a "fad", or a passing try to replace Windows. What's being
asked for is documentation, specifically on RedHat, that shows it is a
viable server and desktop operating system, and that the development of open
source software doesn't mean that the a company isn't "here today gone
tomorrow". They are looking for documentation that shows Linux, A: can do
the job, and B: Is going to be a good investment for the future.

We all know the power and abilities of using Linux as an environment, but
they want to see that people that aren't "techy" can use it and be
productive as well.