[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri Jun 28 11:04:10 EDT 2002

Hmm, documentation?  Not sure if I have any of that per say.  But here are
some arguments why Linux can be a good solution, and why Open Source (in a
way this should be looked at separately from Linux) can also be good.

Advantage of Linux :

Linux is no more a fad than any other software product.  The only advantage
that you may have vs other software products is that if for some reason
every single Linux supporting vendor (the likes of Mandrake, Red Hat, IBM,
even Sun, etc.) went out of biz, or left the segment, at worst you are
still left holding the source code for your own maintenance (though not
always a pleasant thought, better than being left hi and dry).  I have seen
many propriety OS (and even some versions of windows) that software was
written specifically for that once the vendor decided it wasn't profitable
those projects were basically frozen in time from a lack of anyway to
update the systems (with out shelling out the cash for the latest greatest
OS, and some heavy new development time/money to port the software to the
new base OS).  The biggest advantage (and disadvantage) of Linux is that it
isn't tied to any particular vendor, and has some resilience to the "here
today gone tomorrow" syndrome.  This no single vendor is also a
disadvantage in that a lot of people look for someone to point a finger at
and say "ah they are the creators and maintainers of Linux" and that just
isn't there.  People aren't used to that.  It makes them think there is no
support supply, no accountability (which doesn't matter according to most
EULA no software vendor seems to have accountability any ways), no "one"
company to look for.  The Linux OS system is a different kind of method for
doing a job.  You can get your support from the big companies, or the
little companies, or the community.  The software is everywhere, some free,
some not (Yes you can write proprietary closed source, cost you cash,
software for Linux if you want).

As far as "can Linux do the job?"  That all depends.  You could ask the
same question of any OS and get different answers for different
scenarios.  Can Windows effectively run a 64 node multiprocessor hardware
solution for massive parallel processing?  Not that I know of.  Can Linux
be used and an MS Exchange .NET server?  Not that I know of.  Can window or
Linux run as a web server?  Yes both, how effective is yet another
question.  If the software isn't dependent on a platform (ie. written only
for Windows NT), or hasn't been written yet I see no reason why Linux
couldn't be as effective of a solution as any other platform.  The
effectiveness will depend a lot on who wrote, and how the program was
written.  Did they take advantage of the platform it was written for?  This
questions can always be asked of any software OS interaction.

I have had great success using Linux in my job environments.  Presently I
am working at Georgetown University for the Medical Research Center.  We
have used Linux solutions for a Tele/Web medicine project (help patients
therapy using the web for feedback, training, support, LIMS, etc).  Another
project involve using Linux and Postgress for a large database organizing
research information for easy web access (through Apache and
tomcat).   Right now we are in the process of setting up a Linux cluster on
IBM hardware for massive parallel projects for medical analysis (I'm a
techy and have no idea what the doctors are talking about, but some of the
projects are drug interaction, behavioral studies, and others).  I know of
a project up in Michigan that uses Oracle on Linux for a LIMS system that
has been very successful (sorry, can't get more details lovely NDA's
).  For desktop side, the techies have just created simple web-interfaces
that the non-techies have no problem interfacing and using effectively on
any desktop platform they choose.  Why right an entire desktop interface
when a very capable one is already there on most platforms (even on my
Zaurus PDA :-) ).

Advantage of Open Source:

I'm tired right now, maybe someone else can handle this part
:-).  Basically similar reasons to Linux advantages;  you have the source,
more control, can share with others to pull resources, free external
auditors, etc.

-David C.