[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 28 13:12:35 EDT 2002

What I'm trying to convey was that she used a machine to collect/manipulate
samples.  From her description,
she had a large rack of test tubes (100x100 grid maybe) and the robot would
move from tube to tube taking
samples in some pattern.  She was automating the sample pattern using  TCL
For what its worth, many test
and mesaurement equipment vendors use TCL whenever they have scripting
capabilities.

What I was also trying to say is maybe she did/didn't write the code which
processed the sample results.  If she did,
then I would conjecture that it would be easier to developmet on a Unix box
than a WinTel box.

Lastly, I know from my wife's experience (she is a clinical trials
researcher for Quintiles) that a lot of drug companies
work with SAS.  The last I heard,  SAS is unix based.  Maybe they will be
Linux based in the future.
However, my wife uses a WindowsNT box to run the front end program which
collects the data.
I am pretty sure this program feeds a unix computer someplace where the SAS
code runs.  I think they did the
same thing when she was at Duke CRI.  I can't remember what she used at
Glaxo.

JD

Kim Green <kndrkim at employees.org>@trilug.org on 06/28/2002 12:04:32 PM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org