[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 28 13:27:14 EDT 2002

I haven't really followed this thread, but if people are looking for
an example of OpenSource and Free software being used in a commercial
product, my field of study (X-ray crystallography) has nice example.

One of the instrument vendors uses Linux and Python for the instrument
control software.  If you are interested check out:

http://www.nonius.nl/

Under the "Manuals" section there is programming manual for writing
Python modules which can be added to the instrument control software.

Other crystallographic software vendors have either come out with Linux
versions or are porting their products now.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html