[TriLUG] X Problems

rob wildermann alteran at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 30 11:38:49 EDT 2002

I have been fighting for several weeks with a
frustrating x problem and would appreciate any advice
on this I can get -- be it tips, suggestions, or
decent FMs to R.

Background -- I am a more or less complete noob trying
to get Gentoo running on my system. I have an ATI 3d
Rage Pro (8MB) and an ADI LM-1764 monitor (Micron
branded, 5+ years old). I am using XFree86 version
4.2.

X is coming up with the top third of the screen
wiggling more or less constantly, about every five or
six seconds the whole thing goes blank, then the
pattern repeats.

I assume it's not hardware because this combo works
fine in Mandrake 8.1 in another partition. (Although
the XF86Config file doesn't work when pulled over--
3.3.6 vs. 4.2 differences?)

I have tried the more common, brain-free methods of
writing XF86Config, including XFree86 -configure and
xf86config, both produce the same results. I've tried
tweaking the h sync and v refresh values, always
staying well within my monitor specs, with no success.

I've read a number of sets of documentation. They
either assume that XFree86 -configure will always work
and move on, or they bog down in extreme levels of
detail without much in the middle. (I haven't read all
the xfree86.org documentation, it's in this
frustrating "click for the next paragraph and the next
paragraph only" format that gets tedious. If anyone
can find a pdf, please let me know.)

=====
--rob wildermann
alteran at yahoo.com