[TriLUG] C# and .NET

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Jul 1 14:01:31 EDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 22:06, Robby Dermody wrote:
> I guess with C# and the open source attention it's been getting, I was/am
> excited that it just might be the next good language to transition to. As
> Andrew noted, Java is nice, but most people have been there/done that (I
> remember the amazing amount of hype it got years ago), and it still isn't
> fast enough for most (me included from what I saw of it less than a year

What *exactly* are you doing that Java isn't fast enough for?

Sounds like you've never even tried Java and are just blowing smoke
around.

There are very few things that Java (running on a modern processor)
can't handle.  The few exceptions are serious number crunching (eg.
en-/de-coding audio/video, scientific software, some games, etc.).  And
in some of those cases, you can call native (C++, Fortran) routines to
do the heavy numerical lifting while having a nice, portable Java GUI on
top.

And I'll be shocked to hear that the slightly-revamped J++ VM that *is*
the C# VM is appreciably faster than one of the newer Sun VMs.  So where
do you think you're going to get that big speed boost that you claim you
require?  [Answer: clearly, you *won't*.]

> We'll see what turns out,

MS has various patents on C# and the CLR.  So don't be too surprised if,
at some point in the not-too-distant future, the Mono implementation is
either shut down or severely hampered by those patents.

And in the mean time you're smoking crack if you think that you're going
to solve any of your compute-intensive problems using the Mono tools.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Emails:      ed at eh3.com, ehill at mines.edu