Non-C system APIs (was Re: [TriLUG] C# and .NET)

Robby Dermody robbyd at avalonent.org
Mon Jul 1 16:42:22 EDT 2002

Good insight. I had been wondering about that earlier (about system APIs
based on things other than C). Of course, one can
provide wrappers to the API in any language, but it most frequently seems to
be that C is at the core. MS, for instance has MFC (and now .NET I guess),
but essentially those sit behind the Win32 API which is not OO. However,
wasn't NEXTStep's whole System API based on Objective C? I had worked with a
guy who had one of those boxes and loved using it and coding under it. I
can't say I had the pleasure to fiddle with the box or the language, but it
seemed way ahead of its time, technologically speaking.

In any case, you're probably right that C won't be going anywhere for awhile
in these realms.

Robby