[TriLUG] C# and .NET

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Mon Jul 1 14:43:44 EDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-07-01 at 14:36, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> While I do agree with you that Java is fast enough for most things
> (your list actually left out one category: intensive graphics [not
> games]), that isn't my biggest problem with Java.  My biggest
> problem with Java is that it limits you to only the object oriented
> paradigm.  Granted, the object oriented paradigm is extremely
> powerful, but there are times when it is the wrong tool for the
> job.  In those cases (which crop up far more often than you
> would think), I prefer a language that allows me to use a
> different paradigm.  The reason I like C++ so much is that
> it, uniquely from any other language out there that I know
> about, is a true multi-paradigm language.  You want to do
> object oriented stuff, no problem.  You want generic
> programming?  Sure, we do that.  You want functional?
> Yep, it'll do that too.  Procedural?  Besides OO, that's its
> bread and butter.  Portability?  Yep.  Speed? Absolutely.
> Show me one other language that does as much as C++ and maybe I'll
> consider it.  The only one that probably comes close is Ada
> and from everything I hear, C++ is much nicer to program in.

Python.  According to most reports, its on an order of magnitude faster
to develop in.  Its multi platform, and if you really need to code
something in C/C++ its simple to tie that in. I got up to speed on it in
an afternoon, and almost everything I've tried in it has been easy,
there has been no fighting with the language, like there is in C++.  And
there is a right way to do things, so you don't have to worry about some
unmaintainable ball of code, since its hard to do that.

Peace.

john