[TriLUG] X Problems

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Tue Jul 2 09:45:22 EDT 2002

Roy Vestal wrote:
> X4 doesn't work well with ATI Rage cards. No one has been writing drivers to
> run DRI correctly on the Rage series. I'd recommend removing X4 and
> installing X3.3.6. I had this problem to with my ATI Rage Pro 2MB. Finally,
> I just bought an Nvidia GE-Force2 MX 200 and X4 loves it.

I recently installed XFree86 4.1 (came with SuSE 7.3).  I bought an ATI
Rage 128 for my work box and an Xpert 2000 (based on an ATI Rage Pro
chip) for my home box.  The hardware accelerated stuff worked fine the
first time around on my work box.  On my home box, I had more trouble
in that it wouldn't recognize the card as having hardware accleration
capabilities.  After diddling around for awhile, I basically took away
the option of having software implemented OpenGL by uninstalling the
'mesasoft' package, made a couple of symbolic links by hand for the
shared libraries, and voila!

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html