[TriLUG] [OT] Desk Toys and Real men (was: Re: Theo is a not nice person)

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Jul 3 23:21:04 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 21:41, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> My monitor is protected by an R2D2 ceramic mug I made as a kid, a Boba
> Fett Pez dispenser, a Super Saiyan Goku figurine, the LOTR cave troll, a
> Galadriel figurine (also LOTR), and a 6 in. lava statuette of King
> Kamehameha I (the Hawaiian ruler who united the islands).  Oh, and a
> very live, very insane, very small tabby cat who guards my chair when
> I'm not here, and my lap when I am.

I actually considered documenting the state of my home computer desk at
one point, but it's too chaotic. I almost did a photo study of it, but
there's just too much detail to cover. Maybe if/when we get a better
camera. Suffice it to say I'm a programmer.

Every so often I excavate out some stuff, but it never lasts long. Never
long enough to complete a play-by-email game of Go[1] anyway (the little
people and cats in this house want to play with the stones if a board is
left out to sit unattended, which will REALLY screw up a game).

However, I *ALWAYS* have a Tux on my monitor to keep the bad OSes away.
So far, it's worked.

OBLinux: Thinking of Go - For those of you who *DO* play Go, I cannot
recommend cgoban and gnugo enough. cgoban for tracking games (although I
also use palmGo on my Visor) and gnugo as an opponent when you're
between games or opponents

[1] The number of physical Go boards in my house is astounding, since
I'm only person in the house who plays. You would think I'd need only
one....but I digress

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --