[TriLUG] Help with network card

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Jul 8 09:26:49 EDT 2002

I, too, have never had any luck getting the compiled-in-kernel network
card drivers to work, so if you tried that you should undo it.

To undo it in debian, go to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 and do a make
menuconfig (or make xconfig if you prefer).  Change the * next to your
network card driver to an M (for module). Then exit the configuration
system, saving your changes, and do a make-kpkg binary.  Then dpkg -i
../kernel-image-2.4.18_<your_revision_here>.deb and a reboot and you
should be all set.

If you've got your network card driver compiled as a module, what's the
output of:

/sbin/lsmod

...which will tell you which modules are loaded and ready.

What network card are you using? What driver?

If your network card driver ist listed by lsmod, you've exhausted my
rudimentary skills. If it's not, try:

insmod <drivername>

where <drivername> is the module for your network card
and then

/etc/init.d/networking restart

if that works, then edit

/etc/modules

and make sure <drivername> is listed. (This is the list of modules that
will get loaded automatically.)

Hope this helps.

ap

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu