[TriLUG] SGML-Tools

Mike Mueller mjm-58 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 10 15:03:38 EDT 2002

I've been teaching myself DocBook for the last 2 weeks.  DocBook is Document
Type Definition (DTD) standard for technical manuals.  Judging from
information about SGMLtools on the link you provided, SGMLtools was a DocBook
processor.  Your document is probably structured using the DocBook tags.
What is the top line in your content source document?

There is an ominous warning at the top of the page at the site.  You might
consider using a different toolset.

I am using using openjade because it comes with Mandrake 8.1 which is
installed on my laptop.

Here is a thread with some enlightening xsltproc information:

http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20020624/thread.html#8627

I started studying xml and xsl this week.  Here is my roadmap (probably ought
to make a sig from it).

http://people.freebsd.org/~nik/sgmlxml.gif

FYI, SGML is a meta-language - a language to write a language.  That means
DocBook is a language.  XML is a meta-language that is an application of
SGML.  That means DocBook is written in SGML and XML. Make your head hurt?
Me too.  We went from mark-up languages like troff to WSIWYG and now back to
mark-up languages.

Mike