[TriLUG] Honeypots attract flies

Jeff Bollinger jeff01 at email.unc.edu
Mon Jul 15 08:36:21 EDT 2002

I couldn't disagree more.  While many of the points you mentiong Jon,
are indeed true, a honeypot (or honeynet) is a crucial tool to
discovering new information.

  Maybe sitting on a home network, it would be close to worthless
because your ISP isn't going to do anything anyways (they're drowned
with calls from people who are calling about "UDP port probes" from
their personal firewalls.  I've got a stack of trojans, rootkits, and
exploit code from our honeynet, all of which I can use against our test
systems to see how to prevent other similar systems from compromise.

We've also used exploit code left on our honeynet to write custom
signatures for our IDSs -- signatures that can notify us of an impending
attack before there is an officially released signature.  I also think
it's incredibly fun!  I can't tell you how many times I've caught a
cracker live on the box, watching him/her come in the border router, and
packet by packet (we run a sniffer between the border and the honeynet)
watched them work.  I love to ifdown the box right as they set up the
warez server.  :)

Jeff