[TriLUG] kmail and RoadRunner

William Scalione wscalione at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 16 12:47:17 EDT 2002

>One other thought...  running the following command:

>cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

>if it returns a 1, then you have TCP ECN enabled.  There are many
>broken load balancing products that incorrectly drop
>packets with TCP ECN enabled.  If the above command
>returned 1, then try ( as root ):
>
>echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
>
>which should disable ECN, and then try connecting to your
>RR pop again.

>Hope this helps.

>Ed

Ed, Jon, Ben

Thanks for the help in getting my RR mail to working. Ed had the winning
answer with turning off  Explicit Congestion Notification. I had noticed
that some websites also would not come up before I turned it off, including
www.rr.com (might want to check into that Ben :) ). It comes up fine now.
Here's a link which explains it in simple terms for the newbies such as
myself

http://www.aplawrence.com/Linux/ecn.html

This should, hopefully, be my last email form a windows machine, I had
to do it so I could properly reply to Ed, Jon, and Ben. Thanks again

Bill