[TriLUG] failed to exec /sbin/modprobe scsi_hostadapter

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jul 17 15:19:31 EDT 2002

Since I'm the one who lit that fire on LKML, let me try to explain it:

The short and long of it is, the error in $SUBJECT is harmless. It has
NOTHING to do with the problem you're seeing.

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 21:20, David B. Rankin wrote:
> Well I loaded 7.2 and got the same results.  Interestingly enough, I
> loaded Caldera 2.2 (an really old copy) and the server came up fine.  I
> doesn't recognize the dual processors but other than that all is well.
> I'm currently downloading ISOs of the latest Caldera to try as well.
> I'd really like to get the Red Hat to work. Any insights?

The code that generates this bit of noise was introduced in the 2.4
kernel, hence, Caldera 2.2 with a 2.2 kernel doesn't make it. Red Hat
Linux always has this message appear due to how it handles its initrd
creation and use.

Since this isn't really an error, set it aside. Lets try to figure out
what the actual error is. What SCSI controller card are you using? What
are the last several lines of text that you see when the machine boots
up? Does it halt with a message like "no init found" or "cannot mount
/"?

The reason I proposed the removal of that printf code in the kernel was
because it was confusing people into thinking that it was part of
whatever bug they were hitting, when its really just noise.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot