[TriLUG] The DirecPC challenge

Tarus Balog tarus at sortova.com
Thu Jul 18 16:24:35 EDT 2002

Thanks to everyone who commented on this.  As soon as I have time, I am
going to check out the wingate proxy (it looks pretty cool).

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> I can't help you on your question, but I do have a question for you.
> You do know that DirecPC has a 2-way system where you don't need a phone
> line for upstream communication.  They even have static IP's available
> for "Business" customers.  I don't know if
> it would make any difference, but you never know.  More info is at
> http://www.direcway.com/.

I have had mixed success dealing with Hughes, and so I am very wary of
making a further investment with them.  The way I work, 56K up or 128K up
doesn't really make a difference. Satellite-return works pretty well
during the day (it goes to crap when the kiddies get home).

OT: I have a C-band satellite dish (2 meter) with a 4DTV digital receiver.
The content cost is about half that of DirecTV. If that ever goes out, I
was looking at a DirectDuo system with Internet, DirecTV and Tivo, but
right now I really can't afford that. I am also a bit frightened of
Hughes' growing monopoly. (sigh) Perhaps one day I'll have real broadband

Vestal, Roy L. said:

> One of the problems with satellite 2 way is dropped packets and
> collisions due to electrical/solar interference. We ran into that with a
> telecommuter from Colorado using VPN. If your machine is setup with a
> firewall or VNC or something that requires encryption, you are going to
> have a lot of problems with speed.

This is good to know. I have been thinking about getting 2-way (~$500) but
I may hold off. I live through SSH and SSL.

Thanks to everyone.

-T

--
Tarus Balog