[TriLUG] RR Setup

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 20 10:37:54 EDT 2002

Folks,

This was a DHCP problem on RR's side, possibly.  Thursday AM we put in
(get ready to cheer, folks) some brand new name servers!!!  Yes, folks,
with any luck, your name server problems in the
Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville area are resolve. *knocking on wood*  I'm
keeping any eye on them, though, to make sure, as are all of our other
sysadmins.  Time will tell, so you may want to keep your caching name
servers going in the meantime.  Basically, we told corporate that our
problems were bad enough that we didn't care what they thought, and we
had to do something.  Trust me, your concerns were heard.  I brought
them up myself to our regional VP recently, and he asked what we
needed.  One week later, we had it.  Everybody cheer.

The cutover to the new servers, however, was not without ANY snags, as
most of you can attest is the norm.  Because we also had to make a
change to our DHCP services, many folks were unable to renew IP leases
Thursday AM.  That resolved itself after a few hours, though.  Later,
DHCP became unavailable do to a silly IP conflict that shouldn't have
happened.  We resolved it quickly, and everybody was good to go once
again.

Anyway, that's the report from the front.  Naturally, if any of you have
questions, or can't get help from front line support, and can't get your
issue escalated, drop me a line.  I'm happy to help so long as I'm not
getting bombarded.  My real work takes priority, of course, but I'm
happy to help out friends in a spare moment.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer