[TriLUG] Sound recording/editing/archiving - where to start?

Vestal, Roy L. rvestal at rti.org
Wed Jul 31 08:21:02 EDT 2002

>Currently we are having to burn special music cds when someone wants a
>copy which are more expensive than just using regular data formatted
>cds. Of course, I have to look into all of this more too :)

The data format you need to be able to burn is CD-A, also called "Redbook"
CD. This is the kind of CD you buy from a music store. (Learned all this
recording an album.)

>Do any of you know if I would need a special sound card or anything like
>that for the computer part? Or if I'm able to find a way to get the
>signal from the sound board (or other parts like cd player) to the
>regular inputs on a regular sound card - it'd work?

Check out the GINA series of cards. Also, Roland makes some as well as
Turtle Beach. I'm not sure if these have Linux support though.