[TriLUG] RHCE program questions

gregbrown at mindspring.com gregbrown at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 4 01:37:19 EDT 2002

Has anyone actually obtained their RHCE cert?  I'm thinking about going for it
once I return to the US but after reading the Red Hat certification website I
still have some questions.

My big question is how much kernel level stuff is there on the RHCE exam?  I
don't tear apart and recompile kernels on a regular basis (or at all, really)
so if the exam is heavy on that kind of thing I'll have to make sure I get the
right classes before the exam.

With about eight years of network experience, six or so of UNIX systems
(mostly has as perl hack and network management person - not a lot of Solaris
or HP admin), and now my Linux stuff for fun (i.e. setting up a home Red Hat
firewall (ipchains), DHCP, router, etc) I'm wondering if I should start with
RH-133, RH-252, or should I just go all-out and give RH-300 a shot?  After
re-reading the doumentation for the courses I'm leaning towards the RH-252 -->
RH-302 track.

If anyone has been through the process already I'd sure appreciate your
thoughts and feedback.

Greg