[TriLUG] xinitrc questions

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Fri Aug 16 07:23:40 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 00:11, Ben Pitzer wrote:
> These dockapps need to be executed by the dock in Fluxbox.  They will be
> listed in the dock's config file, and when the dock loads (as instructed
> by the WM), it will start the dock apps and swallow them in the dock.
> Check on the config info for your dock in Fluxbox for more details on
> how this is done.

Alas, the fluxbox "slit" doesn't work the same way the WindowMaker Dock
does - the slit will swallow dock-able apps, but doesn't have it's own
config file.

Dan Chen has the right of it - I have the following in my .xinit :

# slit apps
exec wmbio &
exec wmxmms &
exec wmstock RHAT &
exec wmx10 &
exec wmix &
# The WM
exec fluxbox

notice that the final fluxbox call isn't backgrounded.

FYI - KDE dock apps (like kmoon and kteatime) also work with the slit.
Now if only Gnome applets did....

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --