[TriLUG] Sun Jumpstart experts?

Robert A. Henderson rah at ntrnet.net
Fri Aug 16 09:19:42 EDT 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:

> Ooy! You ask fun question Kimosabe<sp?>
>
> Sun Jumpstart requires some time to setup. Here's the nutshell:
>
> -You follow Sun's instructions on loading the OS from media.
> -You create rule files to tell what to do for each machine, or a "generic"
> setup for specific machine types.
> -You create pre and post install scripts that customize them.
> -Finally you are able to use it.
>
> Check www.ncsysadmin.org 's site. 2 months ago, Stephen Schaefer gave an
> excellent presentation on this. http://www.ncsysadmin.org/past.html

Many thanks. I don't want to actually use it, :-) I'm just trying to
convince some people that it isn't necessary to have a JS server on every
subnet. I've been perusing sun.com but 1) I'm stupid and 2) they don't
exactly have the best documentation as to how it works at a network level.

I found a page that shows it to use DHCP and it explicitly sez one need
not put a server on each subnet. But the gotcha is you must be running
Solaris 8.

Thanks for the pointer, I'm off to be educated.