[TriLUG] Sun Jumpstart experts?

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Fri Aug 16 09:42:55 EDT 2002

"Robert A. Henderson" <rah at ntrnet.net> writes:
> Anyone here have a decent understanding of Sun's Jumpstart?

I have gotten far, far, far too intimate with JumpStart in the past,
yes.

> Specifically how it operates over the network. Mostly how do you get
> it to work over multiple subnets that are routed only.

Upgrade your firmware to fairly recent versions so you can use dhcp,
instead of (ghastly) RARP and (bletcherous) bootparamd, both of which
are broadcast---and therefore segment---oriented.

At least, RARP is, and I seem to remember that bootparamd (not to be
confused with bootpd) is as well.

Of course, you then need to have a DHCP forwarder on each segment, so
it's not truly segment-independent, it's just dependent on stuff that
is more common these days.  The fact is, every net-auto-configure
protocol is broadcast oriented, it's just a matter of whether it's
reasonable to route the packets around behind the back of the
requestor.

This is all discussed in Sun's documentation, BTW.  If you're going to
argue with people over it, you would probably be well served by having
an authoritative source to back you up.  Go to docs.sun.com, it's easy
to navigate, etc.

Mike.